CLASS - The Creative Sketchbook with Susan Moss
The Creative Sketchbook with Susan Moss
April 18th, 19th, & 20th
Limit: 10 participants
Materials Fee (paid directly to instructor upon arrival): $65
Join guest teaching artist Susan Moss to discover how an active sketchbook and journaling practice can enhance creative process and artistic growth. Learn strategies for a sketchbook practice that is low risk, non-evaluative, and exploratory. Work with varied materials – gouache, colored brush pens, markers, water soluble pencils – and respond to a range of mark-making and writing prompts. Experience how visual and written responses can serve as a departure point for reflection on artistic goals, for generating ideas, for recognizing the idiosyncratic patterns of one’s own art making, and for further inspiration.
The exercises and prompts explored in this workshop will promote an ongoing sketchbook habit that will feed future art making and creative pursuits.
Goals: The goal of the workshop is to guide you in developing a sketchbook “habit” that supports:
• An open and reflective approach to art making
• Exploration of your unique way of seeing, responding, marking, and recording experience
• Articulating and refining ideas
• Movement toward a more focused, substantive studio practice.
Materials students should provide:
• 3 ring binder (for 8 1/2 x 11 paper)
Optional materials to bring:
Marking, drawing, or painting tools you especially like, plus images of some of your artwork if you would like that to be part of our workshop conversation
Materials instructor will provide:
• New sketchbook for each participant
• Gouache paint and brushes
• Wide selection of pens, markers, brush pens, and pencils
• Additional miscellaneous drawing materials
Class cancellation policy: Students will receive a full refund if cancelling up to 7 days before the beginning of the class. No refund within a week from the class’s first run date.